Cambridge English

If you really like the English language

If you are really into the English language and would like to attend lessons in which you will learn a bit more than what you are taught in the regular lessons Cambridge English may be something right up your alley. There will be more focus on writing and speaking skills alongside the usual topics. Whether your choice of education is mavo, havo or vwo, if you enjoy studying the English language in any which way you can take the enrollment test. Once you have passed the compuslory enrollment test the number of points will give insight into your level. Each level requires a minimum number of points out of a total of 25.

For Preliminary (years 1 and 2) this is 16 points, for First (year 3) this is 21 points, for Objective this is 23 points and for Proficiency you have to have all the answers correct.

Extra lessons

The lessons will ideally take place once a week, next to the other classes you have to take. All classes are English only. The goal is to achieve a level of skills that will help to pass the exams. Homework may be part of these lessons.

After two years of Preliminary English it is possible to take PET exams (Preliminary English Test). However this is not a requirement. These exams are at school and may result in a school certificate if all the exams are passed at the required level (not an offical Cambridge English document).

After one year of First there is also the possibility to take exams. These exams are at school as well and may result in a certificate if all the exams are passed at the required level (not an official Cambridge document).

It is also possible to take the official exams. The official PET exams do not take place in Friesland; the FCE exams can be taken in Leeuwarden.

Cambridge Advanced English or Cambridge Proficiency

If you participate in Cambridge Advanced English or Cambridge Proficiency English exams will not be taken at school but at the British Council in Leeuwarden. The costs for these exams are for you and your parents. 

With the completion of the CAE or CPE you can study abroad because these certificates are acknowledged in various countries.

Info on fees for the exams can be found here: https://www.britishcouncil.nl/exam/cambridge/dates-fees-locations/individual

Info on exam dates can be found here: https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/Images/exam-dates-2019-wall-planner.pdf